Afghani cuisine is mildly spicy but highly aromatic. It is rich in texture and flavour as it uses ingredients such as cashew nuts, almonds, poppy seeds, fresh cream, and different varieties of spices. Here we share an Afghani chicken curry recipe that is easy to prepare. Tender and juicy chunks of chicken are marinated in a rich Afghani sauce and then cooked to perfection. Afghani Chicken recipe is truly a royal delight. Check out the recipe below!
Buy chicken online on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other fresh chicken options such as Chicken Drumsticks, Chicken Thighs, and Curry cuts, and prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||1 hour|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 2 tsp ginger garlic paste
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp Garam masala powder
- salt to taste
- ¼ cup Yoghurt
- 750 gm chicken
- 3 Medium onions roughly chopped
- ¼ cup Cashew nuts whole
- 1 tsp melon seeds
- 1 tsp poppy seeds
- 2 tsp oil
- Pinch of Saffron
- Take a bowl and add ginger-garlic paste, turmeric powder, salt, garam masala and yoghurt. Mix well and coat the chicken pieces. Let the chicken marinate for an hour.
- Take a pressure cooker and put roughly chopped onions, cashew nuts, melon seeds and poppy seeds. Add one cup of water and pressure cook the ingredients until two to three whistles. Release the pressure and keep the cooker aside to cool down.
- Take the ingredients from the pressure-cooker and transfer them to a blender. Blend it into a smooth paste.
- Take a pan and add oil to it. Add the marinated chicken and sauté for 7-8 minutes. Then add the blended paste and let it cook for 4-5 minutes. Add saffron and cook for another 8-10 minutes. As the chicken turns tender and tends to fall off the bone, turn off the heat. Serve it hot with Roti, Rice or Naan.
Recipe Tip If you want to make the curry creamier, then you can also add cream or coconut milk. Adjust the spices accordingly. If you want to add the cream in the marinade then make sure you do so in the end after putting all other ingredients. Share your version of this recipe How do you make Afghani Chicken Curry at home? Share your recipe with us! Frequently Asked Questions Can I add Kasuri Methi to this recipe? Yes. You can sprinkle some Kasuri Methi on the top before serving. This will give this dish an extra kick of flavour. What can I use in place of cashew nuts? You can use soaked and peeled almonds in place of cashew nuts.