Non-veg lovers in India enjoy trying authentic chicken curries. All these curries are cooked in a different style, making use of various spices, herbs, and vegetables. This makes all the chicken curry recipes quite different from each other. In addition, for a country like India that is bestowed with such diversity, you’ll find a new recipe in every nook and corner. One of the most popular curry recipes is the chicken salna recipe. It is said to originate from Tamil Nadu in India. It is regarded as one of the most scrumptious dishes of Tamilians. If you are a meat lover who enjoys trying different recipes, this one is a must. It may look difficult, but we at Licious have curated the easiest recipe for you.
What is Chicken Salna?
The South Indian chicken salna finds its roots in the state of Tamil Nadu in India. You can find this curry being cooked in every other household on the weekends. Furthermore, many roadside stalls and even restaurants serve this delicious chicken salna to the residents. It is served with hot and soft parathas.
Cooking chicken salna is as simple as it gets. It is simmered with ground spices, chicken pieces, and vegetables. The highlight of the plain salna recipe lies in the salna paste. The paste is made with the help of fennel seeds, cinnamon, fresh coconut, and star anise, among others. All these make the paste incredibly flavourful and add texture and richness to the chicken curry.
This one will top the list if you are looking for a simple and subtle recipe for lunch on weekends.
At Licious, we deliver drumsticks right to your doorstep. They are fresh, tender, juicy, and luscious. The meat is sourced from biosecure farms. The meat is washed well and cut to precision by our experts. The chicken pieces are always stored between 0-4°C to maintain freshness. Furthermore, our chicken is free from hormones or antibiotic residue and is delivered to your doorstep in vacuum-sealed tamper-proof packages.
|Prep Time||10 minutes|
|Cook Time||45 minutes|
- Licious Chicken Drumsticks
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 4 cloves of Garlic chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 1 tbsp Garam masala powder
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- tsp ½turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- Salt as required
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 star anise
- ¼ cup coconut
- 4 cloves
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp Whole Black Peppercorns
For the salna paste:
- Take a wok and heat the oil in it. Add the fennel seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon sticks, star anise, and cloves. Fry them well.
- Now, add coconut and let it turn slightly brown. Do this for 5-8 minutes.
- Once done, set it aside.
- Transfer these to a mixture grinder once cooled and grind them to a smooth paste. Add a little water if required.
- Now take the same wok and add oil.
- Add the chicken pieces with turmeric and salt. Saute it well.
- When they turn golden brown, drain the oil from the chicken and take them out.
- Now, add curry leaves to the wok and let it crackle.
- Add the ginger and garlic. Let it saute.
- Add the onions and cook them well until they are golden brown.
- Add the tomatoes and cook till they turn soft.
- Now, you can add the ground paste to the mixture.
- Add red chilli powder, turmeric powder, and garam masala powder. Stir well to mix it.
- Add the chicken pieces to the gravy and ½ cup of water
- Add salt to taste and let it simmer on low flame for 20-25 minutes.
- Take it off the heat and serve it hot!
- Garnish with coriander leaves
- Use onion rings on the side
- Serve with rice or paratha
If this got you craving chicken curry, try this irresistible recipe at home and share your pictures with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious!