Garlic and egg-fried rice is undeniably one of the easiest yet zestiest recipes you can cook from the comfort of your home with limited ingredients. This is again one of the best recipes to use leftover rice (believe us, the older and colder, the better), and the sky’s the limit in terms of experimenting with different variations of this dish. It is a recipe that pleases the taste buds and also the eyes, with its darker and richer colour. Continue reading to make the best egg fried rice and please yourself, your friends, and your family.
The Origin of Egg and Garlic Fried Rice
Egg and garlic fried rice is one of the most popular recipes from the family of Chinese fried rice variants originating in Greater China. Sometimes it is served as the penultimate rice just before the desserts at Chinese banquets.
Interestingly, this fried rice version gained popularity during the late Ming Dynasty of China as a way to accommodate the leftover rice. Food wastage has always been taboo in China for all good reasons.
In this dish, seasonings, spices, and even the vegetables used differ from season to season and from person to person. For instance, you can easily skip soy sauce in this dish if you prefer your fried rice more eggy and white!
Apart from the versatility, the economic value of using leftover food has led to the popularity of this recipe all across the globe, especially among younger generations and people on the go.
To double the dose of nutrition, add your favourite veggies and, in no time, everyone will ask for some more egg fried rice on their plates.
A good option for dinner or lunch or even an appetising brunch, there is no better way to prepare garlic and egg fried rice recipes than by using nutritious and fresh eggs.
At Licious, we have a variety of eggs that are naturally laid by healthy hens. Our eggs are crack-free, cleaned and quality-checked before being safely packed and delivered to your doorstep. Additionally, they contain no hormones or antibiotic residue.
What Varieties of Fresh Eggs are Available at Licious?
It’s all about variety at Licious, and our fresh eggs are no exception. Got a spicy egg fried rice recipe in mind? Choose from a great selection of always fresh eggs that include country eggs, quail eggs, classic eggs, omega 3 eggs, brown eggs, and more.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 2 cups of cooked rice preferably left in the refrigerator overnight
- 2 fresh Licious Eggs
- 1 tbsp Chopped Garlic
- 2 finely chopped red chillies
- 1 tsp chopped ginger
- 2 finely chopped spring onion
- Salt - to taste
- Red chilli powder to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Cooking oil as required
- 1 tsp soya sauce
- Break fresh Licious eggs into a bowl and beat them.
- Put a pan on a medium-high flame and then heat just enough cooking oil to scramble the eggs.
- Cook eggs until scrambled. Do not overcook. Keep them aside.
- Again, heat cooking oil in the pan, add the finely chopped garlic to it and cook until it turns light golden.
- Add a tsp of red chilli, ginger and spring onion, and saute for a minute on high flame.
- Add the soy sauce to it.
- Now pour in the 2 cups of cooked leftover rice and then another beaten egg.
- Mix well with the ingredients gently so that the rice doesn’t break.
- Add black pepper powder and salt and blend thoroughly.
- Add some finely chopped spring onion once again to the rice and then stir fry for a minute.
- Transfer the hot, spicy fried rice to a bowl.
- Garnish with spring onions and serve hot.
The Ultimate Tip to Cooking Excellent Egg and Garlic Fried Rice
It is always a good idea to use leftover rice from the other day that has been kept in the refrigerator for at least 5-6 hours. This is because, since the egg fried rice recipe is typically cooked over high heat, the rice must be adequately heat-tolerant for every grain to be separate and fluffy after cooking.
In the case of just-boiled and fresh rice, stir-frying on high-medium heat could turn it mushy, soggy, and sticky, since the rice will already have too much moisture. This is something that messes with the taste and texture of the egg and garlic fried rice recipe.
In the case of leftover rice, it typically loses its moisture by the time it is kept in the refrigerator and is more heat-tolerant than freshly-steamed rice. The ideal egg and garlic fried rice is fluffy, with just the right amount of zing and egginess, and every grain of rice is separate, and leftover rice lets you enjoy that.
Do not forget to share your personalised version of the delicious egg fried rice recipe by tagging us on social media using #MadeWithLicious.