The pomfret fish goes by many names and varieties. Known as Angel Fish because of its unique features, the Indian Butterfish or Pomfret are found abundantly in India, Kenya, China, South Africa, and Southern Japan. What makes this fish one of the most loved is its rich flavour, making it the perfect fish to prepare and enjoy a wide variety of fish dishes. Also, pomfrets can be prepared in a variety of ways. From deep-fried and pan-fried dishes to curries and salads, the preparation and cooking methods are endless and vary from region to region. One variety of pomfret is the Halwa Machi or Black Pomfret.
High in protein and delicious in flavour, the Black Pomfret or Halwa Machli is a delightful dish that is also enjoyed by health enthusiasts for its omega-3 fatty acid content. You can find black pomfret at Licious that are sourced directly from government-licensed local fishermen on the west coast of the country.
You can prepare a variety of fish dishes with this product whichis available in different cuts. Neatly cut in perpendicular size to the spine, the bony steaks come with a skin that is ideal for pan-fried, curries, or baked dishes. Get fresh Black Pomfret that are passed through 150+ quality checks, cut and cleaned by experts and is packed hygienically to be delivered to your doorstep.
We at Licious ensure that preparing any dish at home is easy by offering clean fish and meat. Place your order for Licious Black Pomfret Medium – Steaks to prepare tasty meals today!
What is Halwa Machi, and why is it popular?
The black pomfret is popular due to many reasons. Its flaky texture makes it one of the most versatile varieties of fish to prepare several curries, fried dishes, and many more. It is largely consumed across the globe. It is a popular delicacy in the Indian states of West Bengal, Karnataka, Kerala, Tamil Nadu, and Telangana.
Compared to the common white pomfret, black pomfrets are rare in number. It is believed that the first ever scientific description of Halwa Machi was done by Marcus Elieser Bloch, a German-Jewish doctor and naturalist. Featuring a flattened and compressed body made of a single bone, black pomfret is rich in omega-3 fatty acids and Vitamin D.
Easy Halwa Machli Recipe
As the black pomfret comes with only one bone, many people across the globe love to prepare this recipe in the form of black pomfret fried, steamed, and curried. One of the easiest and quickest recipes that you can try at home is the Halwa (Black Pomfret) Fish Fry
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 300 grams of Licious Black Pomfret Medium – Steaks
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- cup ½semolina
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1- inch ginger
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 4 black peppercorns
- 3 cloves
- tsp ½turmeric powder
- 4 Dry red chillies
- 1 small tamarind
- cup ½fresh coriander leaves
- Salt as per taste
- Here’s how you can make one of the best Machi Recipes:
- Place the fish steaks on a plate and sprinkle some salt. Mix and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Add garlic cloves, ginger, fennel seeds, black peppercorns, cloves, turmeric powder, dry red chillies, tamarind, and coriander leaves in a mixer grinder. Grind them well.
- Add about 3 tbsp of water to the masala mix to make a smooth batter.
- Add salt into the spice mix at the end and blend well.
- Evenly coat the fish steaks with the spice batter and marinate for another 15 minutes.
- Heat oil in a pan. Apply the marinated pomfret steaks with semolina nicely on both sides and place them carefully over the hot oil. Fry on medium heat on each side for about 3 minutes.
- Place the fish pieces on a plate and garnish with more coriander leaves, lemon juice and a salad.
Do try this delicious and quick Halwa Machi recipe at home and tag us with a picture on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.