The perfect dish to bond with family and friends as you serve it hot with a side of salad and your favourite beverages, Kethel Chicken Fry is the ultimate chicken dish to try!
Fried chicken makes for the perfect dish to savour, serve at a party, or even enjoy as a side dish with your meals. The popularity of fried chicken has reached far and wide, and now every culture has its version of fried chicken. In India, you can find a variety of Crispy Fried Chicken recipes that are spicy, tangy, sweet, and delicious. One such tasty version is the famous Kerala-style Kethel Chicken Fry which is served in Hotel Rahamaniya.
You should use fresh country chicken to make the best Kethels Chicken Fry Recipe. At Licious, we believe that health is important, and no matter what the recipe is, we think it can be prepared in a healthy way! To ensure the same, we provide only fresh – and not frozen – meats, our meats go through 150+ quality checks and are hygienically vacuum-packed before being delivered to you. Licious has over 300+ cuts including Licious Country Chicken Curry Cut, so you can prepare your favourite dishes without hassle.
What is Kethel Chicken Fry, and why is it so famous?
Upon reaching the centuries-old market of Thiruvananthapuram called Chala, you will come across Hotel Rahamaniya. Tucked away in a bylane is this quaint restaurant – Rahmaniya Kethel’s Chicken. As you enter, you will find a few long tables and benches occupied by customers enjoying a variety of dishes on clean, eco-friendly banana leaves. This is exactly where the Kethels Chicken Fry Recipe originated, which is piping hot, spicy, and ever-ready to be served. What’s more?
- Kethels uses only spring chicken that weighs around 450 grams in weight.
- The eatery is known to sell about 200 kg of its chicken dishes every day!
- While they use the legs, wings, and a few other meaty pieces to prepare Kethel’s special spicy chicken fry, the rest is used to prepare curries.
How to Make Fried Chicken Kethels Style?
Until you visit this famous eatery in Thiruvananthapuram, you can fulfil your craving with a Kethels Chicken Fry Recipe that can be whipped up at home.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 550 grams of Licious Country Chicken Curry Cut
- 6-8 Dry Kashmiri Red Chillies
- 5 whole red chillies
- 2 tsp Coriander Seeds
- tsp ¼fennel seed
- tsp ½Cumin Seeds
- 2 green cardamoms
- 2 cloves
- tsp ½turmeric powder
- 5 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1- inch ginger finely chopped
- Coconut oil to fry
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- 1/ tsp Mustard Seeds
- Salt as per taste
- Here’s a step-by-step guide to making the Kethel Style Spicy Chicken Fry
- Heat a pan and add the dry Kashmiri red chillies, coriander seeds, fennel seeds, cumin seeds, green cardamom, and cloves. Roast them well and add to a mixer once they cool.
- Add the whole red chillies to the mixer as well and grind them well.
- Pour the masala mix into a large bowl and add the garlic, ginger, and turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Add the chicken cuts into the masala and evenly coat the pieces. Marinate for about 30 minutes.
- In a deep pan, heat coconut oil and fry the chicken pieces evenly on all sides till they are thoroughly cooked.
- Once the chicken pieces are fried, add mustard seeds and curry leaves to the same pan of oil (decrease the oil content if needed). Allow them to splutter.
- Pour the tadka on the chicken pieces.
- Garnish with lemon juice and salad and serve hot with chapatti, rice, or as an appetiser.
Do try this easy Kethels Chicken Fry Recipe at home and tag us with a picture of the dish on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.