Eggs are one of the most versatile food items, and they are super easy to cook. There are a variety of dishes that people make with eggs, like egg curry which most of us enjoy at home. However, if you’re in the mood for a snack, try this South Indian-inspired Malabar Egg Cutlet recipe.
An Unusual Cutlet
The Malabar Egg Cutlet is unlike any other you may have seen before. You could consider it a South Indian Deviled Egg which makes it a great appetizer or quick snack. The cooking process involves cutting a boiled egg in half and extracting the yolk.
The yolk is mixed with boiled potato among other things; this mixture is then rolled into balls and added back into the cooked egg white. Once complete, each half is coated in egg white, crumbed, and deep-fried to give you a crispy egg cutlet. It looks fascinating, and the taste is incomparable and definitely worth it.
In true South Indian style, this recipe incorporates curry leaves and a mix of Indian spices such as garam masala and chilli powder. Once crumbed, you will need to fry each cutlet in coconut oil for added flavour.
Visit our website to check out our range of fresh eggs to prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||10 minutes|
- 6 boiled eggs
- Raw egg white Of 1 egg
- 2 medium-sized Boiled potatoes
- ½ tsp ginger chopped
- 3 green chillies
- 1 tsp garlic chopped
- 1 Large onion chopped
- salt To taste
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- A handful of coriander leaves chopped
- ½ tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ tsp Black pepper powder
- 1 cup Bread crumb
- Coconut Oil
- Take the boiled eggs and cut them into halves. Remove the egg yolks and keep them aside.
- Take a pan and heat 2 tablespoons of coconut oil in it. Then add curry leaves to it. Once they splutter, add onion, ginger, garlic and green chillies. Sauté the mixture. Then add powdered spices such as red chilli powder, black pepper and garam masala. Add salt and give the ingredients a mix. Set aside once the onions are cooked.
- Take a bowl and mash the boiled potatoes in it. Then add the cooked onion mixture, boiled egg yolks, coriander leaves and salt. Mix all the ingredients to make the filling.
- Make small balls of the potato mixture. Fill those in the empty cavity of the boiled eggs.
- Take a small bowl and add the raw egg white to it. Then add salt, red chilli powder and turmeric powder and mix it.
- Take the boiled eggs with the potato mixture filling. Dip them in the egg white mix. Then roll them in the breadcrumbs until coated nicely. Take a pan and heat some coconut oil in it. Gently place the eggs and fry them on all sides until golden brown. Serve hot with mint chutney.
Make sure to fry the eggs in batches and not crowd the pan.
Share your version of this recipe
How do you make Egg Cutlets in your region? Share your version with us!
Frequently Asked Questions
For how long should I boil the eggs?
If the eggs are large then you can boil them for 12-13 minutes. If the eggs are medium-sized then you can boil them for 10-11 minutes.
When should I peel the boiled eggs?
You can peel the boiled eggs once they have cooled down to room temperature.