The mutton pepper fry recipe is one of the most popular non-vegetarian recipes in Kerala. Kerala is famous for its spices and aromatic flavours. The same can be seen in their recipes as well. This mutton recipe has the perfect amount of taste and aroma that is sure to leave all your house guests in awe. It is the perfect go-to recipe that you need during Ramadan. It will appeal not only the children but also to adults. However, you may worry about how to make mutton pepper fry? Fret not! We, at Licious, are at your service. We have curated a step-by-step guide to help you cook the best mutton pepper fry at home!
What is mutton pepper fry?
The mutton pepper recipe finds its roots in the state of Kerala in India. It is a popular South Indian dish that people from all over the country enjoy. As more people delved into the scrumptious taste of the mutton pepper fry recipe, it gained more popularity. Soon, it was not a meat dish that was restricted to the boundaries of Southern India. If you’re someone who enjoys the flavours of South Indian dishes, then you should give this recipe a try at home.
The mutton pepper dry fry recipe involves the use of coconut oil that adds a strong and deliberate flavour to the meat. There’s also the use of black pepper that adds the much-needed pungency and an extra tinge of aroma to the recipe. The pepper mutton recipe is rich in spices and herbs.
If you want to try a unique mutton appetiser that will be a sure shot hit, you should go for the pepper mutton recipe!
Mutton curry cut
At Licious, we ensure that premium quality mutton is delivered to you. Our meat is passed through 150+ safety & quality checks. Additionally, the meat is always fresh, never frozen. To achieve this, it is temperature-controlled between 0-4°C. Our mutton is pasture-raised and chosen at the right weight and size for tender meat.
Our curry cut mutton pieces consist of both bone-in and boneless leg, neck, and rib pieces which are ideal for this recipe. The mutton is cleaned thoroughly and cut neatly by experts before being vacuum packed to lock in freshness. Get it delivered to you today!
- 500 gms Curry Cut Mutton
- 3-4 green chillies slit in half
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp Crushed black pepper
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- Salt - to taste
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 tbsp oil
- 4 cloves
- A few curry leaves
- 1 cup sliced shallots or onions
- 3 tbsp crushed garlic
- 4 cups water
- 4 green cardamoms
- Dry roast the cardamoms, cloves and cinnamon together, and make a coarse powder in a pestle mortar. Keep it aside.
- Boil the mutton in water, salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder and 1 tbsp coriander powder till it’s cooked and tender. Make sure there is enough liquid in the meat so it doesn’t dry out.
- In a thick wok or pan, heat oil, fry shallots and garlic together until golden brown. Add curry leaves, green chillies and fry for 2 minutes.
- Add the cooked mutton, all the spices and crushed peppercorns. Sauté for 5 minutes till the meat is well coated with the spices and is brown.
- Serve hot with rice or rotis.
Tips and Tricks
- You can garnish the mutton pepper fry with coriander leaves.
- You can use sliced onions and tomatoes on the side.
- It goes well with rice, roti, dal, or paratha.
- It can be enjoyed with curd as well.
If you enjoyed reading the mutton pepper dry fry recipe, we are sure that you'll enjoy making it more. Try it today at home and share your version of the recipe with us on Instagram. Use the hashtag #MadeWithLicious and win Licious Cash.