If you are not someone who belongs to South India, you may or may not have heard of the Vatta Fish. In English, it is known as Trevally Fish. However, it does not matter if you are familiar with this mouthwatering dish or not; you should still try Vatta Fish Curry for yourself. This is one of the most authentic fish curries of South India that is liked by everyone. It is perfect for dinner time and is not heavy on the stomach. No matter how difficult the recipe may look on the outside, it is easy to follow and can be cooked in a short time.
What is Vatta Fish Curry?
The vatta fish curry recipe has its roots in Kerala. Kerala is known worldwide for its varied cooking habits, aromatic spices, and culture mixed with its eating habits.
Since Kerala is a coastal area, fish and seafood consumption is frequent. The vatta fish fry is made from the Kodavai/Trevally fish, which is found easily in this region. There are many health benefits to eating vatta fish. It is a good source of Vitamin A, Vitamin B12, protein, Omega-3, and riboflavin, among others.
Fish lovers prefer Kodavai fish because of its distinct, intense flavour. Moreover, the bones are easier to remove. With the blend of several spices used for marination, this fish curry makes for a drool-worthy recipe!
Trevally (Kodavai) Steaks
At Licious, we source our fish & seafood fresh daily, from approved local fishing boats. In addition to this, all fish, seafood and other meats are passed through 150+ safety & quality checks before being approved for delivery. You also don’t need to worry about prep with any of our 300+ cuts. Our expert meat technicians cut, clean, trim and wash everything so you can use your order straight out of the pack!
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
- 500 gms trevally fish
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 3 cloves garlic
- few Curry leaves
- 1 inch ginger
- 1½ tbsp red chilli powder
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 5-7 shallots/small onions (chopped)
- 3 green chillies (slitted)
- ¾ tsp turmeric powder
- Salt - to taste
- Coconut Oil
- 4 small malabar tamarind pieces
- ⅓ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- Heat oil in a wok. To the wok, add chopped shallots, green chilli, ginger, garlic, and curry leaves. Saute or cook it well till the shallots are transparent.
- Add all the spices like red chilli powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, turmeric powder on a low flame. Mix them well. Cook till the rawness goes.
- Now, add the required salt and water for consistency. Once done, add the fish pieces
- Next, add the coconut milk. Stir well and let the fish cook until flaky and done.
- When it is cooked, please remove it from the flame.
- Add coconut oil from above.
- Leave for 30 minutes and then serve with rice.
So, what are you waiting for? Go for it! Do not forget to share it with us on Instagram using the hashtag #MadeWithLicious.