The hearty butter chicken tops the chart of Indian chicken curries. The popularity of the dish nationally and globally makes it sound exquisite. However, did you know that this butter-rich recipe can be made at home with simple ingredients from your kitchen? No more too sweet, too tangy or too runny gravy. Here we share a Butter Chicken recipe that will give you a gravy with rich, creamy, non-greasy consistency and chicken that is juicy and high on flavour.
|Prep Time||1 hour|
|Cook Time||20 minutes|
- 2 thick chicken breasts
- ½ cup Yoghurt
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp warm oil
- 1 tsp Grated ginger
- 1 tsp grated garlic
- 1 tbsp regular salted butter 15 grams
- 6–7 tbsp Salted butter
- 1½ cup onions thinly sliced
- 1 tsp ginger grated
- 1 tsp garlic grated
- 4 cups Tomatoes roughly chopped
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup cream
- ¼ cup Kasuri methi crushed
For Tandoori Chicken
- Take a bowl and add the marination ingredients such as chilli powder, cumin powder, turmeric powder, grated garlic and ginger, warm oil, butter, yoghurt and salt. Mix the ingredients to make a smooth paste. Then add the chicken breasts into the bowl and coat them evenly with the marinade. Refrigerate for an hour.
- Take a wok and add 3 tbsp of butter. Let it melt on low flame. Once the butter melts, add the sliced onions, ginger and garlic. Sauté the mixture and let the onions caramelize. Once the onions turn brown, add another 3 tbsp of butter, chopped tomatoes, chilli powder and salt. Cover the wok and let the mixture cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid and add 2 to 3 cups of water to the wok. Stir the mixture and mash the tomatoes. Then add the coriander powder and garam masala. Let it cook for a few minutes until the mixture gets thicker and oil is visible on the sides. Take it off the stove and let it cool down completely.
- Preheat the oven for 10 minutes at 200-degree Celsius. Take a baking tray and line it with a foil sheet. Spread some butter in the sheet and place the marinated chicken breasts in it. Pour a ½ tbsp of butter on the chicken along with the rest of the marinade. Transfer the tray in the oven and bake the chicken for 20-25 minutes. Then take the tray out and gently shred the chicken. Mix the pieces well in the marinade and cook for another 5-7 minutes in the oven.
- Once the mixture has cooled off completely add it to a grinder and blend it into a paste. Add the mixture to a pan; add a little more water and the let the gravy simmer. Adjust the salt as per the taste.
- Take the chicken from the baking tray and add it to the gravy in the pan. Then add a cup of cream and crushed kasuri methi over it. Mix all the ingredients well. Let the gravy simmer until it becomes thick and creamy. Garnish with chopped coriander and serve hot.
If you do not want the gravy to curdle while adding cream, then you can take a little gravy in a small bowl, add the cream and mix it well. Then add this mixture from the small bowl to the gravy in the pan and let it cook.
Share your version of this recipe.
Do you make butter chicken differently? We would love to hear your version of this dish. Do share it with us!
Can I use regular yoghurt for marination?
Hung yoghurt is generally preferred for any type of marination.
What other cuts of chicken can I use for making Butter Chicken?
You can make Butter Chicken with chicken thighs too.