Mutton Chaap is a Bengali dish that involves cooking mutton rib chops in a host of spices such as cinnamon, mace and saffron. The meat is cooked until it is slightly charred and tender. Juices dripping from the bones, these rib chops are coated with ghee and served with delectable biryani. Here we share a Mutton Chaap recipe that you can make at home and relish a royal meal. Check it out.
Buy Goat Ribs and Chops online on Licious. Explore our website for a range of other fresh red meat options for lamb or goat cuts such as goat ribs, lamb legs, soup bones and more! Prepare your next delicious recipe with Licious!
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 8 rib chops
- 3 tbsp Raw Papaya grated
- 1/2 cup yogurt
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1 tsp garam masala check the note
- 1 tsp red chilli
- 1 red onion sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic Minced
- 3-4 green chillies
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tbsp Almond Paste
- 2 tbsp melon seeds
- 2-3 tbsp ghee
- in Few threads of Saffron soakedwarm water
- salt to taste
- Sugar to taste
- One or two bay leaf
- Kewra water few drops
- Rosewater few drops
- Wash and pat dry the rib chops. Use the back of a spoon and beat the meat to make it tender. Take a bowl and add the marination ingredients. Then add the rib chops and marinate the mutton for 3-4 hours.
- Take a pan and add ghee to it. Add the sliced onions. Fry them until they are translucent. Add green chillies, ginger and garlic. Sauté for a few minutes. Let this mixture cool down. Then blend it into a smooth paste.
- Add ghee in the same pan. Add the rib chops along with the marinade and braise them on high flame for 5 minutes.
- To the rib chops, add the onion, ginger-garlic paste and sauté the ingredients on medium flame. Add the chickpea flour, garam masala, red chilli powder, turmeric powder and cumin powder. Sprinkle some salt and sugar.
- Add the melon and almond seed paste. Stir the rib chops well. Then add saffron water, bay leaves, kewra water and rose water. Cover the pan and let the mixture now simmer on low heat. Serve hot.
You can marinate the mutton overnight in a refrigerator. Bring it to room temperature before cooking.
Share your version of this recipe
How do you make Mutton Chaap at home? Share your version with us. You can check out all our mutton recipes here.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I add water if the mutton is dried up?
If you feel the mutton is dried up then you can add ¼ cup of water. However, make sure the gravy doesn’t become too thin.
Should I let the mutton rest before serving?
Yes. You can let the Mutton Chaap rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. This also enhances the flavour of the dish.