Jamai Sasti is one of the most popular festivals celebrated in Bengal. On this auspicious day, the son-in-law is treated with much splendour, entertainment, and gifts. They are fed with mouth-watering Bengali delicacies to keep the spirits of the festival up and roaring. The authentic Bengali chicken curry or Doi Murgi is one of the best chicken curry recipes present in the country. This mouth-watering delicacy combines the goodness of chicken, yoghurt and flavourful spices.
If you’re looking for an authentic Bengali chicken curry recipe that will spice up your Jamai Sasti celebrations, the Doi Murgi recipe should be your go-to option. The rich flavour of this dish will blow your family and friends away.
What is Doi Murgi?
In this recipe, curry cut pieces of chicken are cooked at a low to medium flame. This ensures that the dish is cooked thoroughly and gradually, making the chicken pieces more savoury and delicious. This chicken dish originated in Bengal. It is widely eaten by the residents of West Bengal and Bangladesh. As the popularity of this dish grew, more and more people began consuming it. Thus, it is now a globally renowned recipe.
Doi Murgi or Dahi Chicken Curry is an easy chicken curry recipe that you can try at home. As the name suggests, this authentic Bengali chicken curry recipe is made with yoghurt. The key ingredient of this chicken recipe – curd, adds a subtle, delicate, and tangy flavour to the recipe. The chicken curry cut pieces are also coated with various spices and herbs that make the curry scrumptious and mouth-watering.
Chicken Curry Cut
At Licious, we deliver chicken right to your doorstep. The chicken is cleaned thoroughly and cut with precision by our experts. The curry cut pieces consist of bone-in and boneless pieces, ideal for any type of chicken curries. Our chicken is passed through more than 150 safety & quality and is free from antibiotic-residue and hormones.
We source our chickens from biosecure farms and we ensure constant temperature controls between 0-4 °C at every stage, for freshness.
What’s more, your orders will be delivered cut & cleaned in tamper-proof vacuum-sealed packages. Use the meat straight out of the pack and into your pan with zero prep.
If you want to buy chicken curry cut pieces or explore other cuts, click on the button below to explore our website.
- 500 g Licious Chicken Curry Cut
- 100 g whisked curd or yoghurt
- 1 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 tbsp onion paste
- ½ tsp white pepper powder or black pepper powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 inch cinnamon stick
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 50 g cashew or watermelon seed paste
- 2 Black Cardamom Pods
- 2 whole red chillies
- 6 cloves
- 3 tbsp curd
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 cup onions finely chopped
- 2 whole red chillies
- 2 slit green chillies
- Marinate your chicken with curd, pepper powder, salt, ginger paste, garlic paste, and mustard oil. Let it marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- When it is marinated enough, take a wok and heat oil in it. When it is heated, add the whole spices to it. Cook them well till they become aromatic.
- Now, add the onions and sauté well.
- Add the coriander and cumin powder to the mixture.
- Bring the heat to low and add the curd. Stir continuously for 2-3 minutes.
- After this, add the watermelon seed or cashew paste to the mixture.
- When the oil separates, add the chicken pieces.
- Cook for 5 minutes on medium flame.
- Add water and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once it is cooked, add garam masala and more salt if required.
- Simmer for a minute.
- Serve hot!
Tips and Tricks
Do not add curd on high flame as it may result in curdling. Make sure the spices do not stick to the wok. Do not add excessive water.
Serve with rice or roti.
Add onion rings on the side.
Garnish with coriander leaves.
If you liked this recipe, try it on Jamai Sasti to delight your family members. Do not forget to share pictures on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious for a chance to win Licious Cash.