In a nutshell, Kerala Style Chilli Chicken is the term used to bring a smile to the face of meat lovers in South India.
Don’t you think you should try a succulent variant of Chilli Chicken once? Yes, you can make one for an upcoming party, wedding or any occasion. But, why not give this delectable dish a try right now? In fact, the best way to please your taste buds won’t take more than 2 hours.
Chilli Chicken is an Indo-Chinese meat dish made with a unique sauté of sauces and spices. After the dish reached the people of Kerala, they added their own spin to this succulent treat, which made it more appealing to South-Indian cuisine lovers.
What is Kerala Style Chilli Chicken?
Kerala Style Dry Chilli Chicken is a South Indian variant of Chilli Chicken. Made with almost no sauces, it is traditionally cooked dry.
This is not a regular Chilli Chicken; this mouthwatering dish has its own unique preparation, which makes it stand out.
What Makes Kerala Style Chilli Chicken Special?
Cumin powder, turmeric, black pepper, and some other desi spices make up its taste. In addition, the chefs prefer to use fresh instead of frozen chicken. The size of the chicken pieces is also smaller in this dish. Like a traditional chilli chicken, chopped onion and capsicum are featured in this Kerala-style version.
Chicken Mini Bites
When it comes to fresh chicken, don’t wait to head to market just order from our website from the comfort of your home and enjoy speedy doorstep delivery.
At Licious, we source our chicken from biosecure farms. Our chickens contain no hormones or antibiotic residue and are cut and cleaned by experts for convenience. Our chicken mini bites are a cut you won’t find anywhere else. These bite-sized pieces are cut from chicken breast meat for dishes like chilli chicken, pizza, pasta and more. You can use the meat straight out of the pack with zero prep. For additional safety, all our meats are passed through 150+ quality checks. furthermore, to maintain freshness, we ensure constant temperature controls between 0-4℃ at every stage.
|Prep Time||40 minutes|
|Cook Time||50 minutes|
- 1 kg of Chicken Mini Bites.
- ½ tbsp chilli powder you can add more if you’re fond of spicy dishes
- 2 tbsp each of crushed garlic and crushed ginger
- 1 sprig of curry leaves
- 2 tsp of lemon juice or vinegar
- Salt - to taste
For dry roasting:
- Begin by dry roasting the spices until they become fragrant. Set aside to cool down. Once cooled, grind the spices to a coarse powder.
- Marinate the chicken with the marinade ingredients listed above for at least an hour.
- Heat 3 tbsps of oil in a pan and lightly fry the coconut slices. Set aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and fry the onions and green chillies until the onions are translucent. Next, add the curry leaves and saute them for a couple of minutes.
- Add in the chicken pieces, fry them for roughly 5 minutes before covering the pan and cooking till done - 15 to 20 minutes.
- Uncover and add the tomato sauce, and cook it on a low to medium flame until it turns a dark colour, stirring in intervals.
- Garnish with the fried coconut and your dish is good to go! Enjoy!
A small effort and there you go - you have now cooked one of the most delicious Kerala cuisines - Chilli Chicken. Share your thoughts on the recipe, or if you have your own way of preparing it, post it on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLicious and you could win Licious Cash.