Pottalam Biryani or Banana Leaf Biryani is a popular South Indian recipe that’s tasty and flavourful. It’s a steamed biryani dish served on banana leaves, making it a healthy recipe for any day. Most South Indian dishes are served on banana leaves for that extra flavour. It’s also considered auspicious and healthy in South India. If you’re looking for a unique recipe to try at home, then this one is a must-try!
Pottalam Biryani is a dish that has a lot of spices, making it a very flavourful dish. It’s made with chicken and served with boiled eggs for a complete meal. You can also make this biryani with fish and mutton for a delicious meal. This yummy Pottalam Biryani can be served with sambar as well. The biryani is loaded with protein and is one of the best recipes to try for entertainment purposes.
Make sure to try this lip-smacking Pottalam Biryani in a traditional setting to impress your guests!
Buy Licious Chicken Biryani Cut
To cook this delicious Pottalam Biryani, try our Licious Chicken Tangdi Biryani Cut. This pack includes tender and succulent pieces of chicken. The pieces have been taken from the leg of the chicken and cut into drumsticks and whole thigh pieces. These pieces are loaded with flavour and deliver mouth-watering goodness with every bite. Tender and juicy, these pieces are perfect for making all types of biryanis.
Our Chicken Tangdi Biryani Cut is obtained from healthy chickens raised on biosecure farms. Free from hormones and antibiotic residue, our chicken is fresh, never frozen! To maintain freshness, we ensure constant temperature controls between 0-4℃. The chicken is cut, cleaned, and hygienically vacuum-packed in tamper-proof packages and delivered to your doorstep. You can now enjoy your favourite biryani recipes with our fresh Chicken Biryani Cut!
|Prep Time||65 minutes|
|Cook Time||40 minutes|
- 1/2 kg Licious Chicken Biryani Cut
- 1 cup Basmati rice soaked
- 4 boiled eggs
- 1 ½ thinly sliced onions
- 1 ¼ Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 chopped green chillies
- ¾ cup curd
- ½ tbsp Ginger Paste
- ½ tbsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- ¾ tsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ¼ tsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tsp biryani masala powder
- Pinch of turmeric added to water
- 2 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 green cardamoms
- A handful of mint leaves
- 1 tsp ghee
- Salt - to taste
- Chopped Coriander leaves
- 4 Banana Leaves
- In a bowl, add the curd, red chilli powder, garam masala, Kashmiri red chilli powder, oil, biryani masala, ginger paste, and garlic paste. Mix well and then add the chicken pieces. Coat the pieces well with the marinade and keep aside for an hour.
- In a pot, add water along with the cardamoms, cloves, some coriander leaves, and mint leaves. Boil and add the soaked rice. Season with salt and ¼ tsp of oil. Cook the rice until ¾ done. Drain, and keep aside.
- In a pressure cooker, add some oil and fry the onions till nice and brown (do not burn). Remove and keep aside.
- Add the green chillies, and the tomatoes and sauté well.
- Add the marinated chicken and cook for about ten minutes.
- Add a layer of the cooked rice along with some fried onions, coriander leaves, and mint. Add some ghee and a few drops of turmeric. Pressure cook for five to ten minutes.
- Place the chicken biryani with the eggs and chicken pieces in four banana leaves. Seal it well with thread, and steam for five to eight minutes.
- Serve hot with sambar, pachadi and papad. Enjoy!
Order our Chicken Tangdi Biryani Cut from our website to cook this yummy Pottalam Biryani at home. Be sure to take a few pictures for Instagram and tag us using #MadeWithLicious for a chance to win Licious Cash. Enjoy!