Chicken Shahi Korma is packed with a punch of a variety of masalas that are nicely cooked with tender and juicy chicken pieces. Chicken korma makes for the perfect main course to be enjoyed with hot steaming rice, pulao, naan, chapatti, and more. There are multiple versions of korma and one such version is the Shahi Chicken Korma. It is rich in flavour and creamy in texture due to the presence of nicely ground cashews.
To make a Chicken Shahi Korma Recipe, you should have the right chicken cuts so that the masala paste blends into the pieces perfectly well. One such cut is the Licious Chicken Curry Cut which offers the convenience to make a variety of chicken recipes including Chicken Shahi Korma. Our chickens are raised under restricted bio-security zones and are 100% vegetarian fed. The products undergo 150+ quality checks and are hygienically vacuum-packed before they reach your doorstep.
So, ditch your usual visits to the wet market and sit comfortably at home while we deliver tender and juicy chicken curry cut pieces to you.
What is Chicken Shahi Korma?
Korma or Shahi Korma is another delicious invention from the Mughal era that is rich in taste and luxurious in texture. The word ‘korma’ or ‘qormā’ means ‘braise’ and it refers to the cooking technique of this popular dish. While there are vegetable versions of the korma, meats of a wide variety were usually used by the Mughals with the inclusion of freshly ground whole spices. This same dish turned out to be ‘Shahi,’ after the addition of cashew paste to give the korma a richer and creamier texture. What’s more?
- This Mughal dish dates back to the 16th century wherein the royal Mughal kitchens prepared a variety of kormas to serve the royal family.
- The flavour of any shahi korma dish lies in the perfection of the spice mix that is grounded one after the other to be cooked slowly with the choice of vegetables or meat.
- Today, you may see slight differences in the preparation of a shahi korma dish from region to region, based on their taste. For instance, the use of coconut in the South Indian flavours.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 1 kg Licious Chicken Curry Cut
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 large onion minced
- 1 large tomato ground
- 2 inch ginger
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1½ cups curd
- ¾ cup raisins
- 1 cup Cashew nuts
- 2 tsp Licious Asli Garam Masala
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 1 inch Cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp Coriander Seeds
- 3 dry whole Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Cumin seeds
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- Salt as per taste
- In a grinder, add the ginger, garlic, 2 tbsp olive oil, and 1 tbsp water. Grind them well.
- Pour the mixture into the chicken pieces and mix them well. Leave to marinate inside the refrigerator for at least an hour.
- In a pan, add the cinnamon, coriander seeds, dry whole Kashmiri red chillies, black peppercorns, fenugreek seeds, and cumin seeds. Dry roast them for about 3 minutes as you keep stirring them.
- Let the spices cool and grind them into a fine powder.
- Also, grind the raisins and cashew nuts with 1 tbsp water into a fine paste.
- Take a deep pan and heat 1 tbsp oil. Add the onions and saute for about 5 minutes.
- Add the marinated chicken followed by ground tomato and saute until they turn brown.
- Add the ground masala mix and cashew mix along with curd and salt. Saute well and close the lid to cook on low flame for 2 minutes.
- Add the Licious Asli garam masala and stir again. Close the lid and allow the meat and masalas to cook on a low flame for as long as possible. This helps the flavours to form.
- Garnish with fresh coriander leaves
- Serve hot with naan, chapatti, or rice.
Do try this delicious Mughal recipe at home and tag us with a picture on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.