Let’s be honest, fried fish is delicious! Crispy on the outside and tender on the inside, finely coated with a choice of batter or breadcrumbs and garnished with onions, lemons and green chillies (well, in many regions), a fried fish dish is lip-smackingly good.
People love a fish fry recipe as a snack at a party or even as a side dish with their meals. And to make fried fish a healthier option, cooking a rawa fried fish recipe is a great option.
At Licious, we enjoy delivering to you only fresh fish that are caught every day. So whether you are looking for freshwater or seawater fish, we select our fish from the day’s catch and immediately chill them to below 4°C. This helps eliminate the necessity to freeze the fish and preserve their natural texture and taste.
The fish caught are immediately transported to our temperature-controlled facility, where they are cleaned in RO water and cut by experts.
Order Licious Premium Mackerel by clicking on the button below.
What is a Bangda Rawa Fry Recipe?
In different parts of India, the Indian mackerel fish is known as Bangda, Ayala, or Kajol Gouri.
Mackerel is a healthy seawater fish due to its many nutritional values. High in Omega-3 fatty acids, minerals and protein, it is also a highly recommended fish for health enthusiasts.
Rawa here refers to semolina, which is a healthier wheat form, unlike the common wheat types. Made from durum wheat, semolina contains the majority of nutrients. Moreover, durum wheat being golden in colour helps semolina get its pale-yellow colour when milled.
Bangda rawa fry recipe is greatly enjoyed in the country’s many coastal parts, including Maharashtra, Kerala, Tamil Nadu and Karnataka. Each region has different versions of this dish so you can come across many rawa fish Indian recipes for mackerel.
What makes the Indian mackerel different from the other mackerel are its distinct features:
- An Indian mackerel has a moderately deep body and a head longer than the depth of the body.
- They have thin but dark golden bands on the upper side of the body.
- While they are commonly 9.8 inches, an Indian mackerel can reach a maximum length of 14 inches.
|Prep Time||45 minutes|
- 550 grams of Licious Premium Mackerel
- ½ cup rawa semolina
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 3 tbsp red chilli powder
- ¾ tbsp Roasted Cumin Powder
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 5 tbsp Vinegar
- Salt as per taste
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 2 green chillies finely chopped
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- Add the red chilli powder, roasted cumin powder, turmeric powder, and vinegar to a small bowl. Mix them well into a paste.
- Put the mackerel in another bowl and make small slits on the pieces. Mix this spice paste and salt on each piece and marinate for 20 minutes.
- Take a flat dish and add the semolina.
- After the marination time, take each fish piece and dip each side in the semolina generously.
- Take a tawa or a pan and add oil. Once heated, add the fish pieces carefully and shallow fry on each side for 6-8 minutes.
- Garnish with finely chopped onions, green chillies, coriander leaves and lemon juice for that extra punch.
- Serve hot.
Do give this simple and tasty dish a try in your home and serve it to your family, friends and guests. Once you have accumulated all the praises, share a picture with us on Instagram, tagging us using #MadeWithLicious.