You can find fish recipes galore on the internet. The variety of recipes that you can enjoy from different corners of the world is just spectacular. Of course, the variety of fish you get, especially in India, is equally mind-boggling. One such variety of fish with which you can prepare a highly aromatic and drool-worthy dish is the mackerel. So get ready to try an authentic South Indian dish called Fish Kulambu.
We at Licious offer a range of freshwater and seawater fish that are caught fresh daily. Our products are home-delivered after they are cleaned and passed through 150+ safety and quality checks. Each process of cleaning and checking is carried out by experts, after which they are hygienically vacuum-packed.
So, wait no more and place your order today for some fresh mackerels for delicious Fish Kulambu.
What is Fish Kulambu?
Fish Kulambu or Meen Kulambu is a must-try. This rustic, tangy and spicy fish delicacy can be prepared using a fish of your choice. However, the Best Fish For Kulambu is mackerel.
Apart from India, the Chettinad Fish Kulambu Recipe is also enjoyed in Malaysia and Singapore. What started as a poor man’s staple food is now enjoyed widely by people of all social and economic groups.
There are myriad health benefits to a Fish Kulambu recipe. Some of the healthy components of the mackerel recipe include:
· Protein that helps in building muscles and tissue repair.
· Omega fatty acids that are necessary to maintain a healthy heart and brain.
· Vitamins A and D that are essential to support the immune system and bone health.
· Minerals that are required by the body for the proper composition of muscles, teeth and nerves.
· Herbs such as curry leaves that are good for the eyes, hair, and bowel system.
· Spices such as turmeric, cumin, fenugreek and more that act as antioxidants and are believed to have anti-inflammatory properties.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 500 grams Licious Mackerel Curry Cut
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes (finely chopped or mashed)
- 1 garlic bulb (each clove slit in half)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 3 tbsp Tamarind water
- 1 tsp dried fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp black mustard seeds
- 8-10 Curry leaves
- Fresh coriander leaves (finely chopped)
- Here is How To Make Fish Kulambu quickly and conveniently at home: Put the fish pieces in a large bowl and add turmeric powder, ground black pepper, and ½ tsp oil. Mix the ingredients well and leave them to marinate in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Take a large non-stick pan and heat it on a low flame.
- Add oil followed by fenugreek seeds and roast them gently on a low flame.
- Add the curry leaves, garlic and mustard seeds and stir gently till the mustard seeds splutter.
- Add onions and cook till they turn light brown. Add chilli powder, turmeric and tomatoes. Mix well and cook the ingredients for 10 minutes on medium heat.
- Add the tamarind water to the mixture and keep it simmering. Add salt as per taste followed by water. You can add water as per the consistency you require in your Meen Kulambu.
- Once the curry is cooked, gently lay the fish pieces into the sauce and cover. Allow it to simmer for about 15 minutes or until the fish is cooked. Add the chopped cilantro as garnish. Serve hot with rice or chapati!
Do not forget to try this recipe today and tag us on Instagram with a picture of your Fish Kulambu dish using #MadeWithLicious.