Fish, a significant source of nutrients, particularly protein, is popular around the world. Interestingly, there are around 34,000 fish species in the world, making it nearly impossible to try them all. However, you must try a few that stand out for their flavour and distinct textures, such as mackerel, lady fish, and trevally. This article discusses the lady fish, lists its nutritional benefits, and provides a traditional kalan fish recipe to make on special occasions.
Where is Lady fish Found
The lady fish is found in the western North Atlantic Ocean (from Cape Cod to the Gulf of Mexico), Caribbean Sea, and southern Brazil. It is particularly abundant in Florida and the Caribbean Sea. In India, it is found in the tropical backwaters and on Karnataka’s western coast and is locally known as kalan fish.
The ladyfish has a mild flavour and can be used in a variety of preparations. It is eaten extensively in Karnataka, cooked as fish fry and curries.
Kalan Fish: Nutritional Benefits
The ladyfish has high levels of omega-3 fatty acids, proteins, iodine, and vitamin D. It makes for a nutritious addition to one’s diet and eating it at least twice a week can be highly beneficial.
- The fish is low in fat, making it the ideal fish for a low-fat diet.
- High levels of omega-3 fatty acids contribute to heart health.
- High levels of protein are key to muscle-building and bone health.
Ladyfish on Licious
Have we put you in the mood for some ladyfish? We provide fresh, quality-checked, vacuum-packed ladyfish right to your doorstep. The whole Kalan fish is suitable for grilling and frying purposes, while Kalan fish curry cuts are small-sized and perfect for whipping up delectable curries. Our fish and seafood are caught daily and delivered within 24 hours. Your orders come cleaned and ready for your pan, with zero prep required.
|Prep Time||60 minutes|
- 500 grams Kalan fish curry cuts
- 2 pieces chopped onions
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- ½ cup Freshly grated coconut
- ¼ tbsp Mustard Seeds
- Curry leaves
- ¼ tbsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 3 tbsp coriander powder
- 2 tbsp red chilli powder
- 3 tbsp Chopped Tomatoes
- tamarind paste
- Salt - to taste
- Heat some oil in a pan. Add onions and cook until they turn golden brown. Toss in the freshly grated coconut and stir well. Give it a few minutes and add a little water to make a paste.
- Add red chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds and chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook for 15 minutes. Add water to the pan and stir the mixture well.
- Add the ladyfish and tamarind paste to the pan.
- Keep an eye on the fish and flip the pieces halfway through the cooking time so that the fish skin does not stick to the pan or overcook.
- Cook the fish covered for another 20-30 minutes on low heat.
- Garnish Kalan Meen Kulambu with curry leaves. Add some freshly grated coconut for crunch. Serve with steamed or jeera rice.
Let us know in the comments if you made this satiating dish! If you do, click a few pics and tag us on Instagram with #MadeWithLicious for a chance to win Licious Cash. Fishes make for versatile ingredients and can be curried, grilled, fried, steamed, or baked into innumerable dishes and snacks. Browse our range of seafood and try your hand at more traditional recipes.