Mutton do Pyaaza is a popular Mughlai dish that is spicy and flavourful. It’s a recipe that can be enjoyed at parties, festivals, or even as a weekend meal. In this recipe, lamb or mutton is cooked with a good amount of onions, which gives the dish its taste and texture. The dish does not require a lot of ingredients, but the star ingredient is onion.
If you’re willing to prepare spicy mutton do pyaaza, follow this recipe step-by-step to end up with the best flavour and taste. It’s a recipe that you will love and make on repeat!
History of Mutton Do Pyaaza
Mutton do pyaaza is a hearty dish in which mutton is cooked with onions, spices, and yoghurt. There is a lot of confusion surrounding the history of this delicious dish. According to some findings, mutton do pyaaza is an old dish named after Akbar Mullah Do Piaza. It was he who invented the dish during the Mughal period. Do Peeaza is a Mughal term that means ‘meat cooked with vegetables’ (like cauliflower or peas). However, some say the dish got its name because it has onion as its main ingredient, cooked in two stages.
This unique dish has a sweet and spicy taste. Its sweetness comes from the onions, while its spiciness comes from the different spices used in the dish. When cooked to perfection, the mutton gives you a melt-in-the-mouth feeling the moment you taste the dish.
Today, this dish is popularly served in restaurants and cooked in homes on grand occasions.
Buy Licious Goat Boneless
To cook the spicy mutton do pyaaza recipe, try our Goat Boneless. The product includes boneless mutton pieces that come from the hind legs of farm-raised, healthy goats. The juicy meat has a soft and moist texture with a strong flavour. Ideal for curries and fried dishes, these meat pieces are great if you like your mutton more fleshy than bony.
Our goats are pasture-raised on government-approved farms. They are chosen at the right weight and size to ensure tender and succulent meat. All our products go through 150+ safety and quality checks. Free from hormones, chemicals, or antibiotic residue, our mutton is fresh, never frozen!
To maintain freshness, we ensure constant temperature controls between 0 and 4℃. The goat meat is cut, cleaned, and hygienically vacuum-packed in tamper-proof packages and delivered to you quickly. You can now enjoy your favourite curry recipes with our fresh Goat Boneless pieces!
|Prep Time||90 minutes|
|Cook Time||1 hour|
- 1 kg of Licious Goat Boneless mutton
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cloves
- 4 Peppercorns
- 1 tsp roasted and powdered fennel seeds
- 1/2 tsp roasted and powdered fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp Garlic paste
- 1 tsp Ginger Paste
- 1 cup grated onions
- 1 tsp garam masala
- ½ cup Yoghurt
- ½ tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 to 3 slit green chillies
- 2 cups sliced onions
- leaves Corianderto garnish
- ¼ cup ghee
- Salt - to taste
- In a heavy-bottomed pot, heat the ghee. Add the cumin seeds, peppercorns, bay leaf, fennel seeds, cloves, and fenugreek seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start to splutter, add the grated onions and ginger-garlic paste. Saute till soft.
- Add the mutton pieces and stir fry over high heat until they turn opaque. Lower the heat and allow the pieces to cook until tender.
- Add the yoghurt and stir well. Cook until the fat separates.
- Add turmeric, garam masala, chilli powder, coriander and salt.
- Add sliced onions and green chillies. Cook for a few minutes. The onions should be nice and crunchy.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot with rice, paratha or naan.
Order our Goat Boneless from our website and cook this delicious Mutton Do Pyaaza recipe. Be sure to take a few pictures for Instagram and tag us using #MadeWithLicious for a chance to win Licious Cash. Enjoy!