Are you a big fan of fish and seafood?
If your answer is yes, then here are some fish facts to cheer you up.
- Over 3.1 billion individuals consume at least 20% of their protein from fish.
- By 2024, worldwide fish consumption is anticipated to increase to 21.5 kg per person.
Fish is one of the healthiest food items in the world. It is high in minerals and vitamins and contains omega-3 fatty acids, vitamin D, proteins and other nutrients that are beneficial for our overall health. Several types of fish, including basa, hilsa, barramundi and many more are available. Each variety of fish has a distinct taste, flavour and health benefit.
Aside from these, Nagara fish, also known as goat fish, is a unique kind of fish with a distinct flavour, nutritional value and texture. It is consumed throughout the Indian subcontinent, particularly in Kerala and Tamil Nadu. Nagara fish benefits include lowering cholesterol, reduction in vision difficulties, weight control and many other things.
Nagara Goat Fish
The goatfish or Nagara fish is a popular variety with a mild flavour and white flesh that can be prepared in many ways. It can be grilled, fried and even used in curries because it easily breaks up into large flakes on the plate. Nagara meen can be found from the African east coast to Mexico’s southwest coast.
Nagara Meen Benefits
Goatfish has the following health benefits that make it a popular choice among fish eaters:
- Nagara meen has low-fat content, yet it is high in nutrients such as vitamins, protein and minerals. This is beneficial for people who wish to add something to their diet that is lower in fat.
- It is also high in omega-6 and omega-3 fatty acids, both of which help lower cholesterol and prevent obesity and heart disease.
- Nagara fish are high in protein, zinc, calcium, magnesium and other essential minerals and nutrients that the body needs to maintain healthy bones and muscles.
- Vitamin A is an antioxidant that has been linked to vision health and it is abundant in Nagara meen.
Nagara Meen Kulambu
Nagara meen Kulambu is one of the best dishes to create with Nagara fish. It has a spicy and tangy taste. Follow the easy Nagara meen Kulambu recipe below to cook this amazing dish at home. The ingredients of Nagara meen Kulambu are as follows:
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 2 tbsp Sesame oil
- 500 grams Curry cut nagara fish
- 2 chopped onions
- 1/2 cup Freshly grated coconut
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard Seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek Seeds
- Curry leaves
- 1 teaspoon tumeric
- 2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 3 teaspoon coriander powder
- 3 Chopped Tomatoes
- In a pan, heat some oil, then add the onions and cook until golden brown. Add the grated coconut to the mix. Then, to produce a paste, add a little water.
- Add all the spices and chopped tomatoes to the pan and cook for 15 minutes, add extra water if the mixture begins to stick. Add in the tamarind and Nagara fish.
- Cover the pan and cook for 20-30 minutes before serving with rice. Keep checking the fish regularly and flip the pieces halfway through the cook. Serve with curry leaves as a garnish.