“Butter Chicken“ – Just the dish’s name makes you salivate, doesn’t it? Butter chicken, also known as “Murgh Makhni,” is a traditional Indian dish in which grilled or tandoori chicken is drenched in a spicy, fragrant, mildly sweet, creamy, and buttery gravy. This mouthwatering and delectable delicacy is highly famous among Indian cuisine enthusiasts all over the globe.
Butter chicken has long held a special position in Indian culinary heritage. Its popularity has not waned. It began in Delhi, India’s capital area, sometime in the 1950s. During this period, a guy named Kundan Lal Gujral ran the Moti Mahal restaurant in the city. According to legend, the cooks at Moti Mahal would combine leftover marinade liquids with butter and tomato before stewing the tandoor-cooked chicken in it. It’s doubtful they had any notion they’d stumbled onto a globally renowned delicacy. However, it is an undeniable fact of life that the finest things in life are frequently discovered by chance.
Kundan’s restaurant immediately became a popular Delhi destination, and it wasn’t long before the chicken butter masala recipe spread over the world, appreciated by people from all walks of life. The dish’s unusual flavour is due to a special combination of spices that have been honed over time.
So, What is the authentic recipe for butter chicken?
It’s one of the most popular restaurant meals on Indian menus worldwide. Unlike more elaborate curries, this one is straightforward. Despite the fact that there is no complex spicing or elaborate cooking method to wax lyrical about, butter chicken continues to elicit love and war equally!
The tender and juicy chicken is marinated in exotic spices and cooked in a buttery sauce created with the richness of tomato puree, creamy cashews, and aromatic spices such as the bay leaf, red chili powder, green cardamom, ginger, and green chilies. This butter chicken recipe is completed with a substantial amount of cream and butter to make the gravy rich and velvety in texture, some honey to temper the sharpness of the tomatoes, and some roasted kasoori methi to intensify the tomato flavour.
Licious Boneless Chicken Cubes
Our expert meat technicians create this cut specifically for chicken tikka. Each pack contains boneless and skinless pieces of leg and breast meat. These pieces are ideal for grilling or roasting.
Licious chicken is sourced from government-approved biosecure farms, undergo 150+ safety & quality checks and are kept fresh at temperatures between 0-4℃ from sourcing right up to delivery.
|Prep Time||45 minutes|
- 400 gms Licious Boneless Chicken Cubes
- Salt as per taste
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 4 tbsp Mustard Oil
- 1 ½ tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 cup curd
- 2 cups water
- 500 gms diced Tomato
- 50 gms sliced onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 cardamom sticks
- 1 tsp Black cardamom
- 3 Clove
- 2 cardamom
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 tiny slice of ginger
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 tbsp butter
- 12 Cashew nuts
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 inch ginger, chopped
- 1/2 tbsp green chili chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fenugreek (methi) leaves
- 1 tbsp Sugar
- 1/2 tbsp cream
To Make Chicken Tikka
Butter Chicken Masala Gravy
On the Pan
- Put the meat dry before making the chicken tikka. Season with salt, ginger-garlic paste, and lemon juice. Allow it to rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Mix chilli powder and mustard oil, add the chicken to the marinade.
- Heat a grill pan over high heat, drizzle with oil, and cook the chicken until done. Take out and set aside.
- Alternatively, roast the chicken in a preheated oven at 180°C for 20 minutes and then remove it.
- To make the curry, combine all of the ingredients in a clean deep pot. Bring the water to a boil, and then cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Now take it off the heat and leave it to cool for a few minutes.
- Blend it to a fine purée in a blender.
- Set aside after straining.
- In a separate skillet, heat the butter and sauté the chopped ginger and green chile
- To get the desired consistency, add the curry and a little water.
- To taste, add fenugreek leaf powder, honey, and salt.
- Bring the curry to a boil with the prepared chicken.
- Finish with freshly whipped cream. Serve immediately.
Follow these steps to make the ideal restaurant-style butter chicken masala.
Try out this recipe and share it on Instagram with #MadeWithLicious and get a chance to win Licious cash.