A sought-after seafood variety in Southern India, Kanava fish is a kind of succulent squid with a slightly sweet taste. Especially in the coastal regions of South India, squid is prepared in multiple ways, for eg: Squid Fry Recipe. Squids are even used for sashimi, tempura, and sushi recipes. They can also be consumed in the form of gravy. A few popular squid recipes include Salt and Pepper Squid, Spanish Rice-Stuffed Squid Risotto, and more. Today, we have have for you an authentic Squid Fry Recipe.
Where is squid found and consumed?
Squid is consumed in many English cuisines as well. It is sold in the United States, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, and Canada. In the UK, it is served as a starter, street food, and bar snack. In Syria and Lebanon, it is served with tartar sauce. Squid is widely consumed in coastal areas of many Asian countries like India, Sri Lanka, China, Japan, and more. In India, it is quite popular in a few southern states like Tamil Nadu and Kerala. It is also known as Calamari.
Scrumptious fish Kanava and its taste
A squid is a sea creature with white and pale colour. However, it can change its body colour to pink, red, rust brown, or even bright metallic rainbows. Many people think of squid as fish due to its aquatic habitat. However, it is not a fish. The reason is that fish feature spinal cords but not squids. Squid meat is white and firm. It has a sweet, nutty, and mild flavour.
Kanava fish health benefits
Kanava fish is enriched with proteins, omega-3 fatty acids, minerals, and vitamins. Kanva is also high in selenium, copper, and zinc, which help boost the immune system besides strengthening the health of bones and blood cells. Vitamin B12, present in Kanava, helps protect the heart from strokes.
Squid fry when prepared using Licious squid rings tastes extra delightful and consumes less time. As the squid rings are thoroughly cleaned and neatly cut, you can use them straight out of the pack with zero prep. So order Licious squid rings to relish crunchy squid fry. When you try squid fry using Licious squid rings, let us know on Social Media how it turned out using #MadeWithLicious.
|Prep Time||15 Minutes|
|Cook Time||20 Minutes|
- 250 gms Licious Squid Rings
- 1 tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp pepper powder
- 1 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Garam masala powder
- 1 tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 finely chopped onion
- Salt - to taste
- 3 tbsp oil
- Few curry leaves
- Mix red chilli powder, turmeric, coriander powder, and salt in a bowl.
- Marinate the squid rings with the spice mix. Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour 5-6 tbsp of cooking oil into a pan and let it heat on a low-medium flame.
- Add finely chopped onions, green chillies and fresh curry leaves, and fry them till the onions turn golden brown.
- Add the marinated squid rings to the fried onions and stir properly.
- Fry it on a high flame for a minute or two.
- Close the lid and cook for 10 minutes on low medium heat.
- Open the lid and let the extra water dry out on a high flame.
- Add black pepper and keep stirring until it is roasted properly.
- Serve it hot with chapattis or steamed rice.
- Kanava Fish recipe tip
- Soak the squid in kiwi fruit juice or lemon juice before cooking to remove the chewiness.
So, go ahead, try this recipe and let us know in the comments how you liked it.