The grilled tandoori chicken is arguably one of the most famous Indian dishes. You can find it in all the Indian restaurants, not just in India, but worldwide. If you’re in Delhi or the other North Indian states, you will have come across this delicious food in the nooks and corners of the city. It is a famous street food of Old Delhi that remains one of the favourites of all the food enthusiasts of India. If you’re looking for a recipe that can delight your house guests then the tandoori chicken in skewers will make for a fantastic appetiser.
The chicken skewers recipe is not as complicated as you think. With Licious, it is now easier to finish the recipe at home with minimal effort.
What is Tandoori Chicken? The Legacy
The tandoori chicken skewers are one of the most authentic dishes in India. There is various evidence that proves the origin of this dish in India. It was also a part of the Mughlai cuisine of India.
The Mughals are credited with the origin of many Indian dishes, and the grilled tandoori chicken skewers are one of them. The name of the dish is taken from the tandoor, which is the cylindrical oven that is used for roasting the chicken. The chicken pieces used in this recipe are usually drumsticks or even boneless pieces.
For the chicken tandoori skewers recipe, the chicken pieces are marinated in a bright-coloured sauce consisting of curd and several other spices and herbs. It uses turmeric powder, red chilli powder, and even paprika powder.
All these impart the reddish hue to the skewers of chicken tandoori. If the red colour is still not imparted, you can use food colouring, but we do not recommend it.
Boneless Chicken Thighs for Tandoori Chicken Skewers:
To make a delicious serving of tandoori chicken skewers, you must access high-quality chicken and other ingredients.
At Licious, we deliver fresh chicken cuts right to your doorstep. Our chicken and other meats are always fresh, never frozen. The cut we recommended for this dish is our Boneless Chicken Thighs. These meaty pieces will be easy to eat, do not dry out quickly and will be extremely succulent when cooked. As a bonus, the pieces come cut and cleaned by our experts so you don’t have to worry about prep.
Apart from that, to ensure freshness, we maintain constant temperature controls between 0-4°C at every stage. Furthermore, our chicken is sourced from biosecure farms and hand-selected at the right weight and size for tender meat. If you want to buy boneless chicken thighs, you can tap on the button below!
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||90 minutes|
- Licious Boneless Chicken Thighs
- 2 tsp ginger minced
- 1 tbsp garlic minced
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- Salt as required
- ½ tbsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Cumin Powder
- 1 whole lime - juiced
- 2 tsp Kashmiri red chilli powder
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ⅓ cup plain yoghurt
- Take the Licious Chicken Thigh Pieces in a bowl and marinate it with the above-mentioned ingredients.
- Combine the ingredients well, then put them in the refrigerator for 30 minutes or more. You can also refrigerate it overnight if time permits.
- Take your skewers out. If using wooden skewers, warm them in lukewarm water for 20-30 minutes. If you're using non-wooden skewers, they are probably ready to use.
- You'll require 5-8 skewers, depending on the number of chicken pieces.
- Prepare your grill and cook the skewers for 6-8 minutes on each side. Make sure to turn the skewers occasionally so that all the sides are cooked properly. Serve hot!
Tips and Tricks
- The longer the chicken pieces are marinated, the better.
- Do not overcook the chicken on the grill to avoid fibrous and dry chicken.
- Serve alongside a mint chutney.
- Sprinkle cilantro leaves on top.
If this stimulated your hunger pangs, you should consider trying this mouth-watering delicacy at home. Then, share your pictures with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.