Gongura is a typical leaf popularly used in the state of Andhra Pradesh. Its tangy flavours and wide health benefits make it a common ingredient in multiple dishes, including non-vegetarian dishes such as chicken, mutton, and lamb recipes. It is enjoyed by many households in the state for lunch and dinner as well as to serve their guests. It is also known as Puntikura in a few regions, Pulicha Keerai in Tamil Nadu, Ambaadi in Maharashtra, and Pindi Palle or Pundi Soppu in Karnataka.
To make Gongura Chicken Recipe Andhra Style at home, you should have the right chicken curry cut. At Licious, we make cooking your favourite chicken recipes at home convenient and super easy. We offer our chicken in various cuts that are perfectly suited for most chicken recipes prepared at home. Our chicken is naturally raised in restricted bio-security zones and is free from antibiotic residue and hormones, making it exceptionally safe for consumption. All our chicken products undergo 150+ quality and food safety checks before they are hygienically vacuum-packed to be delivered to your doorstep.
So, go ahead and order Licious Chicken Curry Cut online to make a delicious Gongura Chicken Recipe at home today!
What is Andhra Chicken Gongura Recipe?
As the name suggests, Gongura Chicken Curry Recipe is a non-vegetarian recipe with chicken and gongura leaves as its primary ingredients. It is a delicious, masala-packed recipe perfectly blended with other common spices available in every Indian kitchen. What made these leaves make their way into the kitchens of Andhra Pradesh and other states of India is their many medicinal values. What’s more?
- The popularity of the Andhra Chicken Gongura Recipe can be seen in the entire state, but it is more popular in the restaurants of Vijaywada and Guntur.
- You can find a wide variety of dishes that includes the tangy flavours of Gongura leaves, such as gongura niluva pachadi (pickle), gongura pappu (lentils), gongura boti (curry) and gongura pulusu (stew).
- The tangy flavours of Gongura match perfectly with a variety of proteins and carb-rich foods, but the right balance is necessary to maintain the taste.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 500 grams of Licious Chicken Curry Cut
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- 6 green chillies slit
- 1 piece of ginger finely chopped
- 10 cloves garlic finely chopped
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp Garam masala powder
- 3 tbsp Sesame oil
- Salt as per taste
- ¼ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 1 tbsp Coriander Seeds
- 5 Dry red chillies
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 cups of Gongura leaves chopped
- Heat a pan and roast fenugreek, coriander, and fennel seeds along with dry red chillies for 3 minutes or till they crackle. Set aside to cool and make a smooth powder.
- Add 1 tbsp sesame oil, 4 garlic cloves, Gongura leaves, and 1 tsp salt in a bowl. Mix well and set aside.
- Heat a pressure cooker on medium heat. Add oil, onions, garlic, ginger, and green chillies. Saute till the onions are light brown.
- Add tomatoes and mix till they are mashed.
- Add chicken, turmeric powder, and garam masala and mix well.
- Add ½ cup of water, mix and close the lid. Cook for 3 whistles and turn off the heat.
- Heat another pan, add oil, followed by the two mixtures made at the start, and saute well until the mix becomes a paste.
- Add the chicken curry to the Gongura mix and cook on high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Serve hot with rice!
Now that you know how to make the Best Gongura Chicken Recipe, don’t forget to try this at home and tag us with a picture on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.