Tangy, flavoursome, and with just the right amount of spice, Keralan dishes are to die for. Moreover, the great number of vegetarian and non-vegetarian dishes that are prepared using fresh vegetables, herbs, fish, and meat make every recipe wholesome. Among the many ingredients, fish is often enjoyed in most Keralite households every day as also on special occasions. One such popular recipe is the Nangu Fish Curry.
KERALA-STYLE SOLE FISH CURRY
A Nangu Fish Curry Recipe is one of the traditional fish curries of Kerala. The dish was earlier prepared in earthen pots wherein fresh fish coated with spices was slow-cooked to get the rich flavours of each ingredient used. Sole fish, in particular, is highly used in this Indian state as they are found in abundance and boast a strong flavour. While you may come across a slight change in taste when eating a Nangu Fish Curry dish in different homes, an authentic recipe is attained with the use of certain essential ingredients such as tamarind and most importantly, fresh sole fish.
Licious Malabar Tongue Sole Fish: Just What You Need for the Perfect for Nangu Fish Curry
Licious is your one-stop shop to buy fresh sole fish, also known as the Malabar Tongue Sole in English and Naaku Meen in Tamil. With a slightly sweet flavour and a firm texture, Licious Malabar Tongue Sole fish is perfect to prepare an authentic, Kerala-style Nangu Fish Recipe at home.
The fish comes thoroughly cleaned and passed through 150+ safety and quality checks. Sourced directly from government-approved fishermen, the fish is cleaned in RO purified water only and temperature controlled between 0-4°C and not frozen. Order Licious Malabar Tongue Sole fish online and get it delivered to your doorstep today.
Fish recipes: Kerala Fish Curry Recipe
What makes a Sole Fish Curry or Nangu Fish curry recipe special and unique is its delicious tangy flavour that comes from the addition of tamarind. This is an essential ingredient in Keralite and most South Indian cuisine which leaves both locals and tourists wanting more. A spicy and tangy fish curry such as this is mostly enjoyed for lunch in most households with hot steamed rice.
- What’s more, this fish curry is also popular in the other Indian state of Goa along with Sri Lanka, where it is also mostly enjoyed with rice
- The sole fish curry is known by different names, such as Malabar Matthi Curry
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 250 grams of Licious Malabar Tongue Sole fish
- ½ tbsp ginger crushed
- ½ tbsp garlic crushed
- 2 large tomatoes chopped
- 4 green chillies chopped
- 2 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 6-8 cup tamarind soaked in a smallof water
- 10-12 Curry leaves
- Salt as required
- Cut the fish into two pieces and place them in a bowl. Add red chilli and turmeric powders along with salt and tamarind water. Mix them well and keep them aside.
- Heat a deep pan and add oil. Once hot, add mustard and fenugreek seeds. Allow to splutter and add the ginger and garlic. Fry them for a few seconds.
- Add the tomatoes and green chilli and sauté till the tomatoes turn soft.
- Add the fish and stir the ingredients well. Close the lid and allow to cook on a medium flame for about 5-7 minutes or till the fish is well cooked.
- Add curry leaves and stir for a minute and turn off the flame.
- Serve hot with steamed rice.
Note: You can add and decrease the heat level as per your taste and personal preference. Along with this signature curry recipe, you can also make a Nangu Fish Dry recipe easily that can be enjoyed as an appetiser during get-togethers and more. Simply avoid tomatoes and use a few dry tamarinds. Order Nangu Fish Online at Licious and prepare this tasty fish recipe in just a few minutes.