Most food enthusiasts cannot get enough of spicy Kolhapuri cuisine. Its aromatic flavours tempt true spicy food lovers with an umami taste, which is an outcome of the generous use of grated coconut and ground spices. Kolhapuri Kharda Chicken is quite a popular delicacy. A quick and easy recipe, restaurant-styled Kolhapuri Kharda Chicken, can also be made at home by following the recipe below.
What is Kolhapuri Kharda Chicken?
A spicy variation of a regular chicken recipe, Kharda Chicken is cooked with various fragrant ingredients such as cinnamon, black pepper, bay leaf and more. It just tastes scrumptious.
Origin of Kharda Chicken (Thecha Chicken)
Kharda Chicken is a classic Vidarbha dish prepared with authentic Indian spices. Kharda is prepared with garlic, flame-roasted green chillies, sesame seeds, cumin seeds, roasted peanuts, and dry coconut. The marinated chicken is first cooked, then goes in the Kharda (Thecha), and then cooked further until the chicken absorbs the flavours. Thecha in Thecha Chicken refers to a delicious, spicy and mind-boggling chutney belonging to the state of Maharashtra. It is then sprinkled with garam masala and drizzled with fresh lemon juice and garnished with fried onions.
Order Chicken Curry cuts from Licious
To cook an incredible restaurant-styled Kharda Chicken, all you need is Licious Chicken Curry Cut obtained from chickens raised on government-approved biosecure farms. At Licious, our chickens contain no hormones or antibiotic residue and are given 100% vegetarian feed. Furthermore, for convenience, the meat is cut & cleaned by our experts, use it straight out of the pack with zero prep. To maintain freshness, we ensure constant temperature controls at every stage. Our meats are always fresh, never frozen.
So if you want to cook a semi-dry Kolhapuri Kharda Chicken recipe, click on the button below to order fresh chicken and get it home delivered.
|Prep Time||20 minutes|
|Cook Time||25 minutes|
- 500 gm Licious Chicken Curry Cut
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 tbsp Ginger Paste
- 1/4 tbsp Garlic paste
- 2 tbsp oil
- 2 leaves bay Optional
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 tbsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves
- Salt - to taste
- For the Kharda Mirchi Cha Thecha
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp Cumin seeds
- 15 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup grated dry coconut
For the marinating:
For the gravy:
Other Ingredients for Kharda:
- Marinate the chicken in a large bowl with turmeric, salt, and ginger-garlic paste for a minimum of 2 hours or overnight.
- In a pan, add the oil and heat it. Then add chopped onions and bay leaves and sauté till they turn translucent.
- Add the marinated chicken and sear it on a high flame for a few minutes.
- Add 3/4th cup of water.
- Cover the pan for 10 to 12 minutes on low heat until the chicken is cooked.
- Flame roast a few green chillies and set aside.
- Heat oil in another non-stick pan and add garlic, cloves, and cumin seeds, and sauté for 1 minute.
- Remove and add the grated coconut. Sauté till it turns golden brown.
- Remove and set aside.
- Grind green chillies, dry coconut, garlic cloves, peanuts, coriander leaves, and sesame seeds with a bit of water to get a coarse paste.
- Heat 2 tbsp of oil in a pan and then add the paste. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked paste to the chicken and then mix well.
- Cook uncovered for a few minutes.
- Sprinkle with garam masala and chopped coriander leaves.
- Blend well and cook on medium flame for a few minutes.
- Drizzle with lemon juice after turning off the flame.
- Serve with any Indian bread, including Bhakri or steamed rice.
When you try our Kherda chicken recipe, do not forget to share a picture on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious for a chance to win Licious Cash.