Fish curry recipes are one of the best options when you’re craving something spicy and tangy to enjoy. From traditional Goan and Mangalorean fish curry recipes to popular Kerala-style fish dishes, you can find a wide variety of recipes for any occasion.
Red Snapper or Chemballi Meen Curry is a popular Kerala-style recipe that is prepared with different spices and Garcinia Cambogia for that spicy and tangy taste. It’s an easy recipe that can be made in minutes anytime at home. This recipe is great for a satisfying meal and can be prepared for either lunch or dinner. This recipe is also excellent to make using other types of fish as well. Chemballi Meen curry is best served with steamed rice, appams, parotta, or bread of your choice.
Try our easy Red Snapper recipe below to cook a hearty meal for the entire family to enjoy at home!
Buy Licious Red Snapper – Large Steaks
To prepare this easy Red Snapper recipe, we recommend our Licious Red Snapper – Large Steaks. You can now enjoy the unique flavours of this popular fish, in steak cuts! Red Snapper also known as Sankara, Murumeen, Rangu, and Pahair is a saltwater fish that has a sweet, nutty taste and moist texture. Our Red Snapper steaks are obtained by neatly cutting the fish perpendicular to the spine. These steaks are perfect for spicy curries like Magalorean-style Murumeen Gasi, Roasted Red Snapper Coconut Curry, etc., or in stews such as Cioppino.
At Licious, all our seafood is sourced daily from government-approved local fishing boats and delivered fresh to your home in 24 hours! Our seafood is thoroughly cleaned and hygienically packed.
So, order our Licious Red Snapper Steaks to make this easy Red Snapper recipe for a satisfying meal at home.
|Prep Time||30 minutes|
|Cook Time||60 minutes|
- 5 to 6 Red Snappers – Large Steaks
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 4 Dry red chillies
- ½ tsp Fenugreek Seeds
- 3 strings curry leaves
- 5 sliced garlic pods
- 1 small piece of ginger (sliced)
- 10 small onions (sliced)
- 1 Tomato (sliced)
- ¼ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tbsp chilli powder
- 1 tbsp Kashmiri chilli powder
- ¼ tsp fenugreek powder
- 5 in kudam puli soakedhot water (also called fish tamarind Garcinia Cambogia, or Malabar Tamarind)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil or any oil of choice
- Salt - to taste
- Take a deep pan or kadhai and heat some oil. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter. Then add in the fenugreek seeds, red chillies, and curry leaves and stir.
- Add the sliced ginger and garlic and sauté for a few minutes. Add the sliced onions and cook till soft and translucent.
- In a small bowl, add the turmeric powder, Kashmiri chilli powder, chilli powder, and Fenugreek powder and mix with a little water into a thick paste. Keep aside.
- Add the sliced tomato and sauté till soft.
- Now, add the spice mix and stir until the raw smell disappears.
- Add the tamarind along with the water and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add a little water according to the consistency you prefer.
- Add salt and bring to a boil.
- Once the gravy comes to a rolling boil, add in the Red Snapper fish. Cover and cook.
- Remove the cover and drizzle a little coconut oil and curry leaves. Cover and cook again for a few minutes.
- Serve hot with rice or bread of your choice. Enjoy!
Order our Red Snapper – Large Steaks from our website to cook this delicious and authentic Chemballi Meen Curry at home. Be sure to take a few pictures for Instagram and tag us using #MadeWithLicious for a chance to win Licious Cash. Enjoy!