Chicken and bhindi (ladyfinger) are one of the most unique combinations prepared in households in India. It is cooked with the twist of tomato puree that adds a sweet and tangy flavour to the dish. In addition, several herbs and spices are used to bring everything together!
Bhindi masala is a popular delicacy that is generally packed in tiffin boxes for lunch or served during dinners. However, combining it with juicy chicken only makes it better. This recipe is very easy to make and is a good choice for beginners and experienced home cooks. You can enjoy it with rice, rotis or white bread.
What is Chicken bhindi?
Bhindi curry recipes are an integral part of North Indian cuisine and are often served with Naan. It features a mix of spices such as turmeric, salt, and coriander, as well as vegetables such as okra, tangy tomatoes, and onions. Bhindi is prepared in different ways in every household. Some like to cook it with tomato puree and onion, while others love to prepare it with a few herbs and spices. Based on your tastebuds, you can add or alter the spice level of the dish.
Chicken is another important ingredient used in India to prepare mouth-watering non-vegetarian dishes. Like the bhindi, chicken is an integral part of North Indian cuisine. When both these come together in a dish, it is called Chicken bhindi. This dish goes well with Naan. You can add other vegetables as well.
At Licious, we deliver fresh chicken right to your doorstep. All our chicken is sourced from biosecure farms, contains no antibiotic residue or hormones and is never frozen. To maintain this freshness, we ensure constant temperature controls between 0-4°C at every stage. for added safety and quality, we pass all our meats and seafood through 150+ checks. for utmost convenience, your orders are cut and cleaned by experts. Use the meat straight out of the pack with zero prep.
Click the button below to browse our range. choose from boneless breast or thigh meat or our various curry cut options.
|Prep Time||15 minutes|
|Cook Time||30 minutes|
- Licious Chicken
- 3-4 tablespoon oil
- Cut & cleaned bhindi
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 5-6 whole red chillies
- 5-6 Curry leaves
- 1 tablespoon ginger garlic paste
- 1-2 Tomatoes
- ½ kg okra
- Salt as per taste
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Powder
- 1 teaspoon red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½ cup Yoghurt
- Water as required
- Coriander for garnishing
- Put the pan on a low flame, add 2-3 tablespoons of oil and 1 chopped onion. Saute it until the onions turn golden brown.
- Add whole red chilli, 3-4 curry leaves, and 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder and stir well.
- Add a tablespoon of ginger/garlic paste to it and saute.
- Add chicken and mix everything well.
- Put 1-2 diced tomatoes in the mixture and cook it for 3-4 minutes. Set it aside for a while.
- In another pan, heat 2 tablespoons of oil and saute the bhindi well.
- Then, add garam masala, add salt, ½ the cumin powder, 1 teaspoon coriander powder, and 1 teaspoon red chilli powder. Mix well to bind everything together.
- Add the cooked chicken to the bhindi. Stir well.
- Add in the yoghurt and some water and give it a good mix. Let it simmer for a good 10 minutes or until you are happy with the consistency.
- Turn off the flame. Garnish it with coriander leaves.
Serve hot with naan. Add some coriander and chopped onions on the side. If you enjoyed reading about this Chicken bhindi recipe, you'll love making it even more! Try it for yourself and your family members at home. Share photos of the completed dish with us on Instagram using #MadeWithLicious.