Every seafood lover’s first choice for snacks and delectable supper entrees is fish. If you’re one of them, you’ve probably tried a variety of fish, but did you know that there are over 32000 different fish varieties in the world, each with its own texture, taste, and appearance? It’s impossible to taste every fish species, so focus on the ones that are renowned for being exceptionally tasty. Pearl Spot, also known as Karimin fish in Kerala, is one such fish.
Karimeen fish has a unique appearance, flavour, and texture that makes it great for curries and grilling. It, like other types of fish, is high in omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, proteins, calcium, and other nutrients, making it a nutritious seafood option. Prepare Kerala-style Karimeen Pollichathu, which is the most famous Karimeen fish recipe in South India, if you want to surprise your family with a delicious dish. In this article, we’ll look at the history of this dish, how to cook Karimeen pollichathu at home, and the best Karimin fish cuts.
Origin Of Karimeen Pollichathu
Karimeen pollichathu is a Kerala-based traditional Indian fish dish. It’s produced by wrapping marinated fish Karimeen in banana leaves and grilling them to perfection. Chilli powder, turmeric, pepper, coconut oil, lime juice, and salt make up the marinade. Smoking the fish gives it a distinct smoky flavour. As it was so popular in Kerala, many restaurants began to serve it with little changes.
Best Cuts For Karimeen Pollichathu
When using Whole Pearl Spot or Karimin fish, Karimeen Pollichathu is at its best. Whole Pearl Spot is an excellent way to get a taste of the fish’s distinct flavours, but getting fresh Karimeen in the market outside of Kerala can be tough. Fortunately, at Licious, we offer fresh, high-quality Karimeen fish. Our fish is caught daily by approved partners and goes through more than 150 quality checks before being delivered fresh to your home. Our fish & seafood is always fresh, never frozen and cut & cleaned by experts for convenience. So, if you’re planning to make Karimeen Pollichathu at home to surprise your family, get Whole Pearl Spot from Licious right now.
Fish Facts And Nutritional Values of Karimeen Fish
Karimeen is nutrient-dense seafood. It has a high protein content, is low in fat, and is high in omega 3 fatty acids, riboflavin, and vitamin D, as well as minerals like phosphorus and calcium. Eating fresh Karimeen is heart-healthy, as it is believed to lower blood pressure and is said to be beneficial for eyesight. Karimin fish can be grilled or barbecued for fitness enthusiasts who prefer a low-fat protein source.
|Prep Time||50-60 minutes|
- 4 Whole Pearl Spot
- 1 chopped ginger
- 6 Chopped Garlic
- 2 Chopped Tomatoes
- 2 chopped onions
- 2 tbsp Kashmiri red chilli
- 3 green chillies
- 6 leaves curry
- ½ tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tbsp Vinegar
- 4 tbsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tbsp Lime juice
- Use salt, chilli powder, turmeric powder, lime juice, and black pepper to marinate the Whole Pearl Spot. Allow the fish to absorb all of the flavours for 10 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan on a medium flame, then add in the ginger, tomatoes, onions, garlic, and curry leaves and stir well. All this to cook until the onions are translucent and the tomatoes are soft. You can add a little water if needed. Add all of the spices to the pan, and stir-fry them till the raw smell dissipates. Next, add the marinated fish pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Take a banana leaf and place the fried fish and remaining marination inside. After securing the fish with a string, place the packet on a clean, flat pan.
- Cook the fish on all sides, then serve with onion rings and lemon on the side. You can do this directly on a grill or barbecue too to bring out the smoky flavour.
Tips & Tricks
To Extract Maximum Karimeen Benefits Following are a few tips to use while preparing the Karimeen Pollichathu recipe at home:
To make the dish even more heart-healthy, skip the fish frying step. Karimeen Pollichathu should be garnished with shredded coconut to give the dish a crunchy texture.
Karimeen Pollichathu is one of the best traditional South Indian fish recipes to make at home. We would love to see how you prepare fresh Karimeen Pollichathu, so take some mouth-watering snaps and share them on Instagram with the hashtag #MadeWithLicious.