Fish– Mackerel Curry is one of the most popular seafood in the world, owing to its distinct flavour and texture and its significance as a source of vitamins, minerals, and proteins. In India, there are many different types of fish, each with its own distinct flavour and taste. When turned into a curry, it can be served as a supper dish or as a snack when barbecued, grilled, or fried.
Mackerel is one of the most popular fish. The Indian Mackerel, also known as Ayala meen, is well-loved in South India, particularly Kerala and Karnataka. In addition to being delicious, Mackerel fish has various health benefits. In this article, we will look at the origin of the Kerala style Ayala meen curry recipe and tell you how to make it.
Origin Of Kerala Fish Curry Recipe
In South Indian cities like Mangalore and Kottayam, Ayala meen curry is one of the most famous fish curry recipes.
King Mackerel fish is a type of fish found in temperate and tropical waters. Indian Mackerel is a type of fish native to the Indian subcontinent that was first used in Kottayam to make Ayala meen curry with local spices.
The base of the curry is made using red chilli powder and a special type of tamarind known as “kudampuli”. Both of these ingredients make the curry hot and tangy.
The recipe spread across India, with variations such as Kerala-style Ayala meen curry and spicy King Mackerel fish curry.
Best Cuts For Kerala Spicy Fish Curry
When it comes o fish, fresh is best. So, if you’re looking for fresh. Never frozen fish that can be conveniently home-delivered, visit our website. We stock whole and curry cut mackerel. Our expert meat technicians cut and thoroughly clean the fish, so you don’t need to do any prep. Additionally, our fish and seafood are caught daily and delivered within 24 hours. Your orders come vacuum-packed and are temperature controlled between 0-4℃ from sourcing to delivery to ensure freshness.
Apart from mackerel, we have a wide range of freshwater and seawater fish, so visit our website and check it out!
|Prep Time||40 minutes|
- 1 onion
- 1 Tomato
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 pieces green chillies
- 500 grams Mackerel Curry Cuts
- ½ cup coconut paste
- ¼ tsp red chilli paste
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp turmeric powder
- 2 pieces Dry red chillies
- ½ tsp black mustard seeds
- Curry leaves
- ½ cup Tamarind water
- 1 cup water
- Toss tomatoes, onions, garlic cloves, and green chillies into a grinder. To make an onion paste, grind them together.
- In a pan, add some cooking oil (roughly 2 tablespoons). Add the coconut paste and cook until golden brown. Coriander powder, red chili paste, and garlic cloves should now be added to the pan.
- Add red chilies, mustard seeds, and curry leaves to the same heated pan. Add the onion paste to the pan once the mustard seeds have started to sputter.
- Pour in a cup of water and the tamarind water and cook for a few minutes or until the curry begins to boil. Finally, add the Mackerel curry cuts to the pan and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Garnish the curry with fresh curry leaves and serve it hot with rice.
Tips & Tricks
For Ayala Fish Curry Recipe Following are a few tips and tricks to make delicious Ayala fish curry at home: Make sure the fish isn't overcooked or undercooked, as this will undermine the dish's overall flavour. For a crunchier flavour, garnish the dish with shredded coconut. You may partially grill the fish to add a smoky flavour to the dish.
Ayala Meen curry Kerala style is one of the best fish dishes to make at home to celebrate special occasions. It can easily be prepared at home using this authentic recipe. Use fresh Mackerel curry cuts from Licious and serve it with jeera rice or regular steamed rice.